APWEN National Seminar/Workshop Benin, Edo State
APWEN National Seminar/Workshop
Engr. (Mrs.) Nnoli Akpedeye FNSE, FNICE, PMP, FMP
President, Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria
On 21st June 2014 at NSE Secretariat Benin, Edo State
I am very elated to be in Benin again as this Branch is one of our most active and focussed on professional development. Last time I was here, we inaugurated the UNIBEN Collegiate and I am pleased to see some of members in our midst today
The Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN) is a non-profit, non-governmental, educational service organisation and a division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE). We are an umbrella body for female engineers covering all engineering disciplines.
Our mission is to stimulate women engineers to achieve excellence in the profession and in leadership; and to encourage the Girl-Child to take up the study of sciences tailored towards the Engineering profession.
APWEN is committed to:
- Contributing to the technological advancement of the nation by encouraging the professional development of female engineers.
- Playing a significant role towards the actualisation of vision 20-20 through strong technological and scientific inputs based on resilience and positive assertiveness of women engineers in Nigeria.
- Ultimately inspiring every Girl-Child to break societal barriers and recognize and/or realize her passion by pursuing a career in engineering.
- Networking and partnering with like-minded organisations, both locally and internationally, to achieve these goals.
APWEN is now 32 years old and apart from steady growth in membership (from 6No to circa 2,500 at present), we are expanding our networks wider within and outside Nigeria. This year APWEN is launching a formal mentoring programme in our drive to ensure that women remain within the profession, grow their careers and attain commanding heights whilst making valuable contributions to our Nation’s socio-economic development. This programme will drive the empowerment of female engineers and give them the tools needed to seize opportunities that would ultimately lead to their outstanding performance.
The theme of this seminar – Empowering Female Engineers for Better Performance – is thus very apt at this time in the life of our great Association. This topic is also very dear to my heart especially as we the ageing female engineers work towards generativity, i.e. establishing and guiding the next generation
Empowerment refers to increasing the spiritual, political, social or economic strength of individuals and communities. It often involves developing confidence in our own capacities.
Empowerment is probably the totality of the following or similar capabilities:
- Having decision-making power
- Having access to information and resources for taking proper decisions
- Having a range of options from which you can make choices (not just yes/no, either/or.)
- Ability to exercise assertiveness in collective decision making
- Having positive thinking on the ability to make change
- Ability to learn skills for improving one’s personal or group power.
- Ability to change others’ perceptions by democratic means and influencing without power.
- Involving in the growth process and changes that is never ending and self-initiated
- Increasing one’s positive self-image and overcoming stigma
The latest mantra being followed by organizations across the world being – “get paid according to what you contribute” – the focus of the organizations is turning to performance management and specifically to individual performance.
Professional performance is the accomplishment of a given task measured by preset standards.
But it’s about
- Not just doing to ‘the best of your abilities but doing what it takes to get the task done and done well
- Asking yourself constantly
- Are we reaching our goals?
- Are we meeting expectations & commitments?
- Can we exceed expectations and delight our customers/partners/colleagues?
- Can I go the extra mile?
I look work to energetic discourse on the seminar theme and invite you all to participate fully.
To give you a flavour of APWEN activities in Q1 2014, limited prints of our e-newsletter are available for your information. For FREE subscription to the newsletter, please send an email to email@example.com.
We would be delighted to host you at the APWEN National Conference in Ilesha – Virtue 2014, holding from 17th to 19th September, theme – Engineering Solutions for Sustainable Infrastructure Development. Please mark the dates in your calendars/diaries – it will interesting, exciting, intellectually enriching event.
Hilary Clinton once said – Women are the largest untapped reservoir of talent in the world.
TAP INTO THAT RESERVOIR, UNLEASH YOUR TALENT AND ENJOY THE REWARDS AND SATISFACTION OF ATTAINING YOUR GOD-GIVEN POTENTIAL!
God bless you.